Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Astro B.yond PVR: Just Some Thoughts

Here are the things that slightly puzzled me:

1. Subtitles
HD channels do not have subtitles. At first I thought it was a function that I had to enable myself specifically for the HD Channels but as I clicked about, theres none available.

And this happens all across the HD channels that I've got access to. The presence or lack of subtitles is noticeable with AXN. AXN in standard definition will have subtitles. 


AXN HD would screen the same show with sharper pictures, more vibrant colors but without the subtitles. And thats great for people who don't need the subtitles but if I'm watching something with a person who is hearing impaired, we'll still have to go back to standard definition so they can follow the story. The channels  that don't have a standard definition equivalent, they would miss out on. 

Also applicable to people who aren't fluent in English, the educational programs on NatGeo HD or History HD where a lot of technical jargon is used, subtitles might help them. It would be great if it could be a function that can be enabled and disabled whenever.






2. Rain Fade
I majored in Communications Engineering where Radio and Satellite Electromagnetic Comms was a subject. So I understand Rain Fade with all its physical scattering properties and signal attenuation calculations.

Rain Fade happens, you just have to accept it. 

During these times Astro would display a message as pictured. A nice touch compared to the tiny yellow box/dot of before.

Your viewing and recording services would be interrupted. You're still able to view whatever shows you've prerecorded/saved and those can be watched in the meantime. If you were recording something unfortunately it would only be partially recorded. But if you've got it on 'series link' the next time the show plays, the PVR would re-record it.

Theres a couple instances though where it rains and only a few channels are interrupted. At first we all thought this was better because we sacrifice a few channels to be able to watch others. Until we notice that the "Temporarily Unavailable" channels were unavailable for a lot more than temporarily normal. It usually comes back after probably 12hours or so without having to call any technicians. 

I'm not sure how Astro has designed its system. Perhaps all the channels affected (in my case CH711, 712, 702) are all on the same carrier? I don't know. An explanation would be nice.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the service, as are the other occupants of the house.





How has Astro B.yond PVR Changed My Life?


I spend an average of 10hours a day being a design engineer. The creativity requirement of my job is the most fun but the most exhausting.
In order to be relevant in the workplace, I have to keep up with trends and scientific discoveries and constantly keep an open mind so that I can be inspired by anything and everything. Astro is a great source of information and most times as I'm watching a show I get struck by an idea and have to hurriedly write it down somewhere lest it goes forgotten, never to be thought of again. And then of course we all need to make time for a social life.
It's not always easy and often times we wish life would hand us a remote control (batteries included please) that lets you Pause to reflect and put things in perspective, Rewind to re-experience, Fast Forward to skip the messy/boring and Record so you won't ever forget and miss out. And really, just Play.
The Astro B.yond PVR comes pretty close to perfection.
I'd like to thank Astro and Nuffnang for giving me the experience. For everyone else who wants to experience it, do check Astro Services out, they have more than just B.yond.


(: Nuri.Ramli


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, what's with the subtitles? My parents rather watch SD because of the subtitles. Kinda loses the feel of having Astro b.yond and having to pay more for it... hrmmm...

    Why aren't the Malaysian channles like Astro Ria and Awani and etc, don't have HD? I mean, most production companies I know are shooting in HD anyways... Hrmmm? These are the most watched channels...

    I do like the idea they are apologetic about the signal and not all channels were affected (weird). I want PVR now! I miss a few shows already... *pout*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking it could be a technical limitation with a cost implication. More complexities in encoding that are just not worth it? Definitely something to look into if HD is the future of television.

    ReplyDelete