Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Astro B.yond PVR: Oh I Loike It

Things I Liked:

1. The Ability to Record Simultaneously
Prime time is prime for a reason. Its the time when the TV audience is expected to be the greatest, generally between the hours of 8pm and 11pm. Most of my favorite shows are shown between those times, often at the same time slot. And the repeat / encore is scheduled past midnight or the weekend ):

Now you've always had to choose which one to watch first but if you're home you can watch one live and record the other. No problem.

The greatness of the Dual Tuner comes in for say when you're out for dinner and you come back and both shows are over. Because the PVR can record simultaneously, you can have both your shows ready to be viewed. You don't have to wait and figure out when the repeat is going to be. Which brings me to Thing I Like No. 2


2. The Program Guide That Shows the Future
7 Days into the future to be exact.



3. The Look
The on screen navigation and info is all very sleek looking and clean. Info is well organized and the use of symbols means being able to put a lot of information onto a screen without clutter.



Also when viewing the main TV guide or planner, you still have the channel you're watching in a smaller screen. Pretty cool.




The only thing was I expected the program banners to do the same thing. Currently is just flashes a static Astro logo. As if we'd forget we're watching Astro? Just thought it would be cool if that spot could also display a somewhat picture-in-picture function. Perhaps there are other plans.






Anyway the other thing I've wanted is when they show the teasers or trailers to upcoming shows to have one button that while the trailer is playing to click 'remind me of this'. Without having to remember when the show premieres and at what time and to have to wait for the week to go to the tv guide and scroll around … perhaps I'm just too lazy.

That's just the highlights of what I've experienced. In my next post I'll note the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment