Monday, April 16, 2012

It's a bird!

Mo pe gain faim
Creole for I'm having the hungries
It was what took me to the kitchen
In search of eats for my tummy


When there it was, outside the kitchen window
Perched on a mirror, admiring himself so


A bright yellow sunbird
One I see regularly
Usually hanging upside-down
From red flowers, gracefully


Never have I seen it up close
To notice its decurved beak
The blink-blinking eyes
And feathers so sleek


Tiny and agile
Darting from flower to flower
I watched all the while
As it extracted the nectar


Thinking I had time
I rushed upstairs for a camera
Gotta get a pic of this oiseau*
To google for its name later


But it had flown away
Away from the flowers
Leaving me standing there
For what felt like hours


Respect goes out
To all wildlife photographers
The patience they must have
Finger hovering over shutters


Lying in wait
The mirror as bait
Hoping for the birds return


When out of nowhere it came!
Seconds to get camera aimed!
... but it flew away,
And all I got was this badly focused photo /:

I call it Zoizo.
Derived from the French word for bird, oiseau.



No comments:

Post a Comment